Furber and White Funeral Home dates back to 1890 when Alpheus Furber (“Alphee”) founded the first funeral home in North Conway. He was than followed by his son Arthur who owned and operated the town’s funeral home. Mr. Furber’s house was what the Eastman Inn is today. DJ’s Bed and Bath was part of Furber’s property at the time.
Robert Randall took over the funeral home in 1959 and Arthur Furber died in 1960. Robert Randall moved the funeral home to the present location at 2925 White Mountain Highway due to the larger capacity for parking.
Before 2925 was a funeral home, it was originally built as a bed and breakfast or “tourist house” called The Maple Rest.
After The Maple Rest, the current location was then owned by Harry Thompson, who had a blacksmith shop towards the back of the property.
In 1976 the present owner Charlie Sutton bought the business from Randall. Ten years later when Richard White retired from the business in Conway Charlie bought him out. Richard White’s business in Conway was consolidated to the present location, to become Furber and White Funeral Home.
- Alpheus and Arthur Furber 1890- 1959
- Cecil Head (located in Conway Village) 1920 – 1949
- Richard White took over in 1949-1986 (changed names)
- Robert Randall 1959- 1976
- Charlie Sutton took over in 1976
- Furber and White Consolidated 1986
- Charlie Sutton 1976-2023
- Charles Sutton Jr. 2023- Present